Pictures of my skin before and after treatment with Accutane for acne
Before Accutane: Today (February 5) I started my Accutane/Roaccutane treatment for acne. I also take som antibiotics so the initial outbreak won’t be so bad. As it is right now, my skin is both dry and oily and I get a lot of acne, especially on my chin.
After one week on Accutane:
- Day 1 (February 5): The antibiotics (called Ery-Max make my stomach a bit upset. It also hurt a bit and made me nauseous. I haven’t noticed any side effects from Accutane yet, except a tingling sensation in my face and on my arms. My face is quite red.
- Day 2 (February 6): Same as yesterday. My hands are a bit dryer though.
- Day 3 (February 7): I’m a little less nauseous and my stomach isn’t as swollen. It doesn’t tingle in my skin anymore. My back and neck hurt’s a little bit though and so does my wrists. My skin feels softer, but I got some small pimples in my face. The skin on my chin has started to peel and my lips and eyes feel dryer.
- Day 4 (February 8): Same as yesterday, but my eyes are red and my knees hurt.
- Day 5 (February 9): The skin on my nose as started to peel and the skin on my nose and chin are a bit sore. My eyes are especially red during the evening. My back still hurts. Every time I blow my nose there is a little bit of blood.
- Day 6 (February 10): Same as yesterday. It feels like my face is sunburnt. I worked out today and my dermatologist said that Accutane could make me extra sore, so I will see how I feel tomorrow.
- Day 7 (February 11): I’m so sore after my workout yesterday. My back and neck still hurts. I got several big pimples on my chin during the night.
- Summary week 1: It’s been a rough week and a lot has happened with my skin. It feels so good to have started treatment with Accutane. Hopefully this will make my acne go away for good. This week my skin got a lot drier. The pictures show that the skin on my chin and nose is peeling. I’m eating Accutane with some nuts, because my dermatologist told me that the medication is absorbs better this way.
- Day 8 (February 12): The skin on my chin is very dry. My lips, arms and eyes are also quite dry. My back still hurts and my muscles are sore. The breakout on my chin continues and my face is still very red.
- Day 9 (February 13): Same as yesterday, but I'm also feeling a bit slow.
- Day 10 (February 14): Fick mens, kanske var det därför det kom så mycket finnar. Brukar bara få lite extra, men fick mycket mer än vanligt den här gången. Läpparna är ännu torrare, hur det nu kan vara möjligt.
- Day 11 (February 15): My lips have never been this dry. The skin on my chin and around my mouth is so dry, and the best thing for this is to apply a really thick cream and leave it on for several hours. I only do this when I'm home though.
- Day 12 (February 16): I noticed that if I apply coconut oil and leave it on during the night my skin isn't as dry when I wake up. Otherwise it's the same as before.
- Day 13 (February 17): My eyes are so so red and dry. My arms have dry patches.
- Day 14 (February 18): My skin is so dry today! I applied a really thick layer of cream and left it on during the day.
- Day 15 (February 19): Same as before.
- Day 16 (February 20): The best thing for my skin right now seems to be to apply oil in the shower, leave it on, spray som aloe vera after showering and then apply som more oil.
- Day 17 (February 21): My face started to blush today and it didn't stop for a couple of hours.
- Day 18 (February 22): Same as before.
- Day 19 (February 23): Bought a cream called Locobase which works wonders for my dry skin.
- Day 20 (February 24): I had a nosebleed today, because my nose is so dry on the inside.
- Day 21 (February 25): Same as before.
- Day 22 (February 26): Same as before. However, the pimples are almost gone. I've only got three of them om my chin.
- Day 23 (February 27): Same as yesterday.
- Day 24-28 (February 28-March 3): Same as yesterday.
Week 5: Even though I use SPF 50, my skin became a bit red after being out in the sun. I visited my dermatologist and she told my that my blodtest showed high lipids, so we didn't increase the dosage.
Week 6: Nothing new has happened.
Week 7: Nothing new has happened.
Week 13: Nothing new has happened.
Week 15: My skin has been extra red and sensitive this week.
Ween 16: Nothing new has happened.
Week 17: Went to the dermatologist again. She told me that my lipids are even higher now and we lowered the Accutane dosage to 20 mg/day.Otherwise nothing new has happened.
Week 19: Nothing new has happened.
Week 20: Nothing new has happened.
Week 21: Nothing new has happened.
Week 22: Nothing new has happened.
Week 23: Nothing new has happened.
Week 24: My eyes are so so so dry.
Week 25: I get a lot of nosebleeds.
Week 26: Nothing new has happened.
Week 27: Nothing new has happened.
Week 28: Nothing new has happened.
Week 29: Went to the dermatologist again and she said that my lipids are even higher nog. She had never seen anything like it. She lowered the dosage to 10 mg/day. I need to take another bloodtest in two weeks.
Week 30: Nothing new has happened. I really really try to think about what I eat so my lipids won't be so high.
Week 31: My lipids are lower again, but my dermatologist donät want to increase the dosage.
Week 32: Nothing new has happened.
Week 33: Nothing new has happened.
Week 34: Nothing new has happened.
Week 35: Nothing new has happened. My lipids are even lower so every other day I eat 20 mg and every other day I eat 10 mg.
Week 36: Nothing new has happened.
Week 37: Nothing new has happened.
Week 38: Nothing new has happened.
Week 39: Nothing new has happened.
Week 40: Nothing new has happened.
Week 41: Nothing new has happened.
Week 42: Nothing new has happened.
Week 43: Nothing new has happened.
Week 44: Nothing new has happened.
Week 45: My lipids are back to normal again, which feels really good. I'm almost done with the Accutane treatment now. The goal is to have taken a total of 7 000 mg of Accutane.
Week 46: Nothing new has happened.
Week 47: Nothing new has happened.
Week 48: Nothing new has happened.
Week 49: This is my last week with Accutane.
Last day of Accutane Treatment: Finally!
Week 1 without Accutane: The skin is still dry, wven though it already feels a lot better. My eyes are less dry.
One month without Accutane: No pimples and the skin is less dry.
Two months without Accutane: Same as last month.
Three months without Accutane: Same as last month.
Four months without Accutane: Huden är inte alls lika torr längre. Har fortfarande inte fått några finnar.
Five months without Accutane: The skin is less dry and no pimples.
Six months after finishing Accutane treatment: My skin is becoming less red, dry and irritated. I would say it looks “normal” today, which makes me very happy.